Thursday, October 16, 2014

Latest Ebola Errors Start With Nurse Amber Vinson

The earlier smug assurance about U.S. hospitals'
superior technical expertise has given way to many
misgivings--chief among them, the CDC's failure to
rush a "swat" training team to Dallas the instant Mr.
Duncan arrived there--but they are not alone. Texas
Health Presbyterian was lax in several important ways,
resulting in two nurses contracting Ebola, possibly
over one hundred other health care workers being
exposed as well...where is Dr. Anthony Fauci,
former CDC  head, when we need him? He's now
at NIH, but he would be better, more effective,
back at the CDC, where he served with brilliant
distinction.

Amber Vinson, a nurse, should never have boarded
any plane. Even with her fever being a low grade
one, she knew fevers rise, should have had the wit
and the grace to cancel her flight. But no, she had
those all-important wedding plans to confab about
with family and friends. Calling the CDC was simply
a way to obtain a get out of jail free card; she may
have infected hundreds of passengers in her quest.
Curiously, the media has criticized everyone else
EXCEPT Ms. Vinson in the recent U.S. Ebola
scare. I'm sorry she is ill, but she should have put
the interests of others before her own.

If health care workers won't isolate themselves,
authorities must step in: prohibit any U.S. plane
travel for any medical staff dealing with Ebola
patients, and begin travel bans to and from
West Africa. These latest Ebola errors started
with a nurse who behaved irresponsibly; let's
institute procedures which remove such decisions
from the individual.

P.S.: My first name is also Amber. I certainly hope
I would have behaved more carefully than this.  


  

4 comments:

  1. Amber nailed it on the head again!

    I have many members in my family in or used to be in the medical profession.I have known some female friends of mmine( Nurses , 2 docs.) I have been a receiver of medical all my life. MUCH OF WHAT HAS and is being done during this horror was and is NOT THE CORRECT protocol. I wonder if it all is a mistake and not.... Yes I am paranoid so enough said by me here.Keep it real, still try to enjoy the daily blessings, pleasures in our life. On a unique project right now D can tell you all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. One more thing. Please lets not forget about the horrible SARZ virus I believe it is called.It has paralyzed and killed several children in America as you know. Also these MYSTERIOUS respiratory illnesses EVEN ADULTS have experienced all over America for quite some time now.I have family members dealing with same right now.

    I do not feel the weather is causing these illnesses either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If federal funding for both the NIH and the CDC hadn't been butchered, many medical professionals believe that a vaccine capable of combatting Ebola may have been available by now. Or failing that, at least a more efficient system for treating potential epidemics may have become a reality.

    And yes, I do largely blame Congressional Republicans!

    ReplyDelete